Tuesday, September 13, 2005

A nice hot shower is a good thing

And I have to remember that, because the people who are staying in this building--and I honestly do not know why they would want to sleep on a concrete floor under fluorescent lights down the hall from where they just spent the whole day and half the night. But I digress.

One of the luxuries at Base Camp Circus Circus is hot showers. It's getting more crowded there, though, so this morning, when I woke up a little early, I decided to get up and get in the showers before they were either swamped (the floors get very wet) or there was a line. It was about 4:30. And I also wanted to get here early so I could see if I could post some pictures (not yet, sorry). But I digress.

The showers are set up--five or six in one container. Those big shipping containers--that's either what they are or what they look like. They seemed spacious at first, but when I started showering in there, I realized the challenges. The floor is wet--like half an inch of water. And you have to get undressed without getting your clothes wet, find a place to put your clean and dry stuff, and get you supplies out of your kit and into the shower. It's tricky. It really does make me think of trying to take a shower in a port o potty because there's no room and you don't want to touch anything (especially since people remind you that the other people taking showers are covered with the real crud of the response--they come from the morgue, from the muck in New Orleans, from treating sick pets, sick people, etc.) So you really, really don't want to touch anything.

So this morning, I shuffle over in my jammies, get undressed and into the shower, take my shower, get out, and SHIT--my jammies fell off the chair I reluctantly put them on, and were in the water. So now I have to wash these things because they are wet and contaminated with god knows what, or nothing at all, but who wants to guess. And even though I cooed over the laundry machines when I arrived, now I think, I don't have time to do laundry--what the hell? Oh well.

In the immortal words of Babe, the pig, La la la la la la la.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home