Tuesday, September 13, 2005

How many credits is this class?

I find this enitre situation so fascinating, on so many different levels. I am working with about one percent of this entire response, which is so big I just don't even know what's going on in the rest of it at all. This afternoon, while checking on the bathroom situation (we now have one functional women's room--four toilets) and discovered an entire wing I didn't even know existed, full of people busily doing things.

I have spent all day trying to track down and produce one fricking package of software, which is now "lost" in FedEx land. Brian can't do his job. Rick now has email--which is major, but now I need to figure out where his headset is. Ronnie just said--"Look, it's four o'clock and I haven't eaten all day and I'm not dealing with this right now." And I just got all excited because I got a call from the Planning department and they wanted to know if I still wanted that big blow up of the org chart. I did! And I was thinking on the way back, GOD, I am spending all day here for three days and what am I doing???? What am I accomplishing??? Very little, actually. I mean, everything--getting anything--is a big deal. Nothing is easy. Everything is a quagmire. More and more people are arriving. The bathrooms are shutting down. And I do feel a bit discouraged this afternoon. It's 5:30 and my next task is at 7, when a couple of us are going to drive out to another housing site to see if it's better than Circus Circus. It takes 45 minutes to get there--maybe, and there are no showers on site, but evidently it has some advantages over Circus Circus. It's just hard to fathom how anything can get done under these circumstances. I know people are waving the big blame wand around, but when the responders can't get email or software or go to the bathroom or get a good nights sleep, you can see why things take so long.

This is an education like no other. You know, I came into this place, thinking I was going to bring some skills and so far, my skills seem to be buying coffee, running to Whole Foods, bugging the crap out of Ronnie, and making a poster size org chart. Oh, and giving wine to a lady who lost her luggage.

4 Comments:

At 3:50 PM , Blogger stewdog said...

Hmm. . eating elephants. An apt metaphor for the Queen of Circus Circus. But how you can consider leaving the Big Top is beyond me?

 
At 4:00 PM , Blogger Sarah Bott said...

I just had a mini-caucus with Terri, one of my fellow Circus residents--we were going to carpool with another gal out to the new site and I told her I lost steam for it. I have to do laundry tonight (due to the jammies falling in scum water) and I'm tired. I don't want to go anywhere new. I like Circus Circus pretty much, except for the dust and the fact that there is no hot tub or masseuse. The food is good, the people are nice, and it's nearby, and I know where it is, and I don't need one more thing to deal with right now.

I haven't even had time to contact the coffee, because I have spent the entire fricking day trying to track down Dreamweaver software!! The whole fricking day!!! It's 6:00. I got here at 4:45 am. I still don't have the fricking software!!!!

 
At 4:49 PM , Blogger Sarah Bott said...

Dude! This day so sucked. But then again, as I type this, Ronnie is sitting next to you explaining how Dreamweaver isn't coming...

 
At 4:51 PM , Blogger Silver Streak said...

Remember what you tell me about the ER: just being there is a comfort to the patients (and the nurses). And stuff does get done, even if slowly. Slow breathing; imaginary punching bag; run in place; cry. (Shut up with the suggestions. You aren't here.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home